Expect an announcement on this blog within 24-48 hours.

We’re putting the final touches on the piece that includes what I’ve called a "game changer" including a behind the scenes video tonight.    If all goes well, we should have the piece up by tomorrow evening or Friday (barring any technical difficulties.)

I’ve been directing a commercial in the midwest all week and my goal was to post the piece up by tonight.   But given how busy we are, and the fact that this "device" and its creator are also with me here on this shoot (I really can’t imagine ever going to any shoot without this "device" as part of my standard kit ever again) it’s been particularly difficult to get all of the logistics lined up as people on both the east and west coasts are helping us with the finishing touches.

So WHAT is this "device?"

Here’s what I can tell you with all due honesty:   I have a hard time imagining the day where I won’t be using it on a shoot.   While I’ll always rely on other types of "devices" on my shoots for specific purposes, this is the ONE I would pick were I given the choice to pick only ONE.   And that’s not something I say very often.

One of the reasons you should be interested in what this is, is the fact that almost every single filmmaker whether they are documentary shooters, indie filmmakers, or major hollywood directors or DPs will find that this device will allow them to do their jobs in ways they never could before – but that they have always dreamed of since they first picked up a camera.

The Canon 5D MKII was a "game changer" for several reasons.   It had a huge sensor that was incredibly sensitive to low light.   It was relatively affordable (under $3,000 at the time) and especially so when compared to the cameras it came to compete with at the time.    And it allowed all of us to create imagery that competed with the "big boys" as well as shots that were never possible with traditional cameras at the time due to its weight and size.   It truly allowed us to do things that we all dreamed of at the time – and that many of us have since come to take for granted.

Just as the 5D MKII didn’t come to replace all other cameras and never will, neither will this device.   But the HDSLR Revolution definitely had quite a significant effect on our industry.

I’m predicting that this device will follow a very similar path and will stir things up (in a positive way) in our industry.  I know it has already changed the way I shoot.  And while it will be more expensive than the Canon 5D MKII was, its price will pale in comparison to the current tools that it will come to compliment or perhaps even replace.

And that to me qualifies it as a genuine "game changer."   Not only is the technology behind it amazing, but it’s also going to be within reach for the vast majority of "us."

Lastly – I appreciate  and respect this blog’s readers.  I don’t make these comments lightly.  I have been dreaming of this type of device ever since I first picked up a camera that produced moving images…   and now that I’ve had a chance to use it, I think the vast majority of you will come to feel the same.

Comments: 152

Leave a reply »

• stabiliser with gyro? awe… anticipation ;-)

• It MUST be a camera if you could pick only one…

Vincent Laforet Reply:

I already mentioned it’s not a camera…

• Seriously excited. Can’t wait vincent

• Ed

I’d be disappointed if it is – but reading through the (115!) comments on the earlier post that’s the only one I didn’t see VLF say ‘no’ to.

It just seems to be that it’s a very niche bit of equipment. Even if it was democratically priced and caused other companies up and downstream to shake up their stabilization output I just don’t see every filmmaker needing to use one.

Indeed that’s just what makes me doubt it is such a device – when VLF says “I have been dreaming of this type of device ever since I first picked up a camera that produced moving images” – that doesn’t scream gyro to me.

What it DOES scream, I can’t tell you.

Earlier I had thought a sensor seemed logical, but A. it’s been discounted by Vincent in the other post and B. he’s already shooting with it and I find it hard to believe that something as big as a sensor could be in the wild with no leaks yet.

Looking forward to finding out.

E

• Ed

PS – hurry up! I’m in KL on a shoot this month and am like a day ahead of you guys!

• Andrew Julian

There’s been a lot of talk about gyros and stabilization systems. I definitely believe it has something to do with support/stabilization, but I’m starting to think that gyros, like the ones made by Kenyon, are not a part of this. Gyros are noisy and I can’t imagine them being used in such a wide number of shooting situations. They also have a limited panning rate. They’re a specialty tool that works extremely well in certain situations. It sounds to me like this new device works extremely well in many situations.

honestly I’m picturing some sort of steadicam type rig with a high-tech electronic balance/stabilization system.

I guess we’ll see.

• Kabuto1138

Got to be something regarding a focus system. That’s always the biggest obstacle when shooting, to get the focus perfect.

Can’t wait Vincent!!

• Hmm.. now I’m really confused.

I was thinking it was probably some data acquisition technology, possibly to use the 5DMK3′s sensor at photo resolution for video (especially since Canon’s releasing updated 5D firmware soon).

This post certainly seems more broad than something like that.. something that can be used with any video camera. My mind goes to what the others are saying – some type of stabilization device.

Can’t wait to hear Vincent.

• Student

It’s probably this “Motorized Slider (slash) Motorized Pan Tilt Head (slash) Crane / Jib”

Vincent Laforet Reply:

Nope

• Firmware?

• neale anderson

Where’s the mole on Vincent’s shoot,

Vincent Laforet Reply:

Apparently they can be trusted! It’s been TWO shoots now…

• neale anderson

The FBI should employ you,your way better at keeping secrets

Vincent Laforet Reply:

LOL good one!

• Pierre

It won’t be as big as the HDSLR revolution was if it is more expensive than 3000$ and not be a camera.

The point was to get a ready to shoot kit for 3000~4000$. Beyond this price range, ppl don’t buy but rent..

Still curious though :)

• Sam

Guys, c’mon. It’s obviously this:

• lenavo123

Zacuto PlaZma lights

• Gonna call it and say it’s a stabilization device as well that actually kicks some serious tail. Fingers still crossed for a Marty McFly hover board though.

• Has to be a better focus system. It’d be great to have something pulling critical focus for me. Lasers haven’t worked too well and other autofocus has been slow and unreliable. Maybe something placed on a subject that can focused digitally similar to chips in hockey pucks…but better and smaller.

David Yi Reply:

Actually, that is a remarkably smart idea as long as you know what the subject is in advance and you have a reasonably accurate wireless device that does not need line of sight. Maybe something using radio/bluetooth transceivers could tell the camera that I’m here, focus on me on cue.

Another possibility (which would be much more universal but would take more work to implement ) would be to use a belt drive system hooked up the the camera lens autofocus (possibility with counterweight to prevent torque shift at high speed). The device would monitor the video for critical focus and refocus based on lens profile. The speed would be limited mostly by motor speed. It would even be faster than the lens’ built in motor and even by trained hand.

• Monica

Tell us, please I can’t wait. When do we know what is this device? at NAB?

• @Vincent Laforet, T + J?

• Kevin Falk

I can’t help but think this is going to be a lesson to us all or something. Haha!
    It’s gaff tape isn’t it!

• Dave Altizer

I called it out as soon as I read the first post. VERY excited to see this! :)

My guess: Affordable cinema zoom lens with IS and a fast aperture.

• @Vincent Laforet, in return for all the pre launch publicity, can u negotiate a free model for yourself and the successful guesser ?

• Mikael Wu

I BET it’s a lightweight MOCO solution…

• Stefan C

Hai, … something every “cine-man” need? Display+recorder+remote???
    Come on? In Germany it is nearly weekend ;-)

• Gouigouix

Hi all,

• Not a camera
    • Not a lens

May be a stabiliser, but I wish it was a lighting system…

• Stevo

My guess is a new type of lens!

• Krzysztof Kurdyła

Maybe it is some kind of „holly grail” lens… 18-200 f2.0 with IS and no distortion for example ;)

• Could be a solid state gimble – i.e sensors and motors rather than gyro based stabilization. They are used a lot now on quadcopters etc and I’m surprised no one has brought out a larger version for larger cameras. Much lighter, quieter and quicker to start than gyros. Though not too sure whether that fits in with the over $3,000 price.

• Is it a GF who doesn’t bust your balls ?

• Jack

An MCUI? (mind control user interface)

• Adobe ANYWHERE :-)

• Kude

Does the divice have any kind of advantage for photography as well?

• i figured it out. Its a box that edits automatically as you shoot. It comes with preset styles like the “Thelma Schoonmaker” or the “Dylan Tichenor”.

• Student

Sigh……24 hours later, no update. lol We’re already dying for NAB announcements. Please spill the beans.

Vincent Laforet Reply:

Hoping in less than 12 hours from now…

• Student

@Student, lol I know our time zones are different ;-)

• Tricky! Most probably it’s all a lie and a very delayed April’s Fool gig :P LOL

I know what it is! It’s a physical firmware upgrade that we can PnP directly to our brains and record pure 16k RAW 24-bit 8:8:8 and output back to a 4 SSD raid0 configuration! :)

Or probably a wireless data transmission from camera to device lol :)

• Im guessing wireless monitor and/or focusing system.

• Graeme

oh great! Something else I’ll really really want but won’t be able to afford.

a handsfree steadicam?

ah wait…i know what it is….it’s a never ending wallet so that we can keep buying the great products Vincent tells us are worth having. :)

• Achef

Un monocle qui fait office de viseur connecté à la caméra en wifi.Toutes les informations habituelles à portée de l’oeil et une liberté de mouvement extraordinaire.

• It HAS to be a lens…I wish it to be a lens! One lens to rule them all! ha ha …it would have to have a super small form factor / footprint, huge focal range(zoom), incredible aperture and built in IS….A SUPERlens!!

Maybe it’s just cause I’m in the market to buy a few NEW lenses….or it could because I’ve been obsessing and thinking about what this could be….and if it’s not the lens mentioned above…someone really needs to get on that!

…I just can’t imagine why a company would make something like that available (essentially eliminating the need to buy other lenses…other than specialty lenses… i.e. tilt shift)

…but like any thriving company…I’m sure they’re already developing a NEW “game changer” to replace the one that isn’t even out yet!

I love new tech!

• its a C47 upgrade! no wait, a pear of glasses you plug to the camera that allow you to record what you see eh, eh…yeah eat that google glass!

• James

Why is this being held like a carrot, only an idiot would not know he’s talking about the Kenyon stabilizer that does away with the need for other forms of stabilization. dumbasses.

it’s not a game changer. It’s expensive and needs a power source, not for the average shooter.

Vincent Laforet Reply:

It’s not that.

• Jean

Whatever this device is, I’ll take for granted I can’t afford it and just go about using my 5D Mk II and other gear that works just fine on the shoots I do :)

• Annnnnnd it’s a light of some sort.

• Allan

Is it something that has already been announced? Or will first be announced at NAB?

If it has already been announced is it the Kessler Cinedrive system you’ve been instagramming?

Vincent Laforet Reply:

Nope = not announced.

• Hansd

The Hoverboard?
    The Hoverboard?
    The Hoverboard?
    The Hoverboard?

Finally? :)

• Bob Wojda

Vincent,

Just wanted to say thanks for the puzzle. It’s fun to have these kinds of brain teasers before a big event as it gets you thinking about what’s possible and what would really change the landscape. Also, I’m glad there are people out there inventing things that I haven’t even thought I needed. Hope this is one of them.

Vincent Laforet Reply:

It might and you’re welcome. It’s fun for me to read/hear what people truly think would change their lives… (professionally that is!)

• Bring it!

Vincent Laforet Reply:

I’m hoping by the end of today…

• dave

Exciting :) especially coming from VL

• Jordan

Unless firmware costs $3,000+, I’m not sure that would be it. Some random ideas:

Zoom Cinema Lens
    Monitor with overlays for framing shots.
    Jango Fett Jetpack

• Tanvir Mohammed

Mr Vincent, you are feeling sleepy, very sleepy, you will tell me what I ask you, you will tell me the truth.

What is this big game changing announcement?

• mathieu cowan

i hope it’s a affortable cineflex system :) that would make my job so much fun hihihi

• Greg Greenhaw

GO Pro Cinema Super 35 with cineform and interchangeable lenses?

• Please let it be a ZENMUSE type handheld rig with a universal camera mount:

• Cody

free energie device hu? :) -

• Jason

Raw image on Canon DSLR?

• Jason

A device that can record raw images from canon dslr?

• What I really need is an affordable dolly with Boom capability. Something like the Cinetech dollies. An actual useable remote follow focus would be nice as well. non of that crap that stutters the lens.

• Oh, what would be REALLY great is a $6000 Cinevised 24-70F2.8 II and 70-200F2.8 II

• Aaron

@James, haha

• Frank

Hmmm, maybe something getting rid of wires/electrical?

Maybe a new Mac Pro or smeting related to hard drives and archiving/security.

I could sure use those.

• gilles

Oke,

A flying car?

• is it ACES the new color management architecture?

• Please, please, tell me it’s more “revolutionary” than this:

• Mr. Good Good

Guys. Think about it… This is a riddle. It can’t be a camera, and it’s obviously not something that already exists in bulk. So, that basically rules out the lovely variety of new lights, cameras, gyro or stabilizer systems, sliders, and all of that. I’m a DP and If there is one thing I need, that I don’t have, that the “big boys” possess; It would be a device that allows one to take aerial shots/or even just basic shots, remotely. A device that would allow you to mount your camera and basically get shots without physically holding it. Shots that can be “flown” and viewed live through maybe an ipad. I’m not talking about RC plane b.s. with a gopro that looks shaky. I’m not talking of something clunky. I’m talking more so specifically engineered gear that will make DP’s lives alot easier. It’ll be something effective, smooth but yet also small enough to fit in a bag. It’s price rage of perhaps $3000 to 5000 would explain it’s built in stabilizer system, flight abilities, and perhaps it’s wifi tech. But $3000-5000 would still make it somewhat affordable. It would probably be customizable to hold dslr weight, but also customizable to hold c300 weight. There will probably be a cheap version and a high quality heavy duty version. This may be a long shot. Or a pipe dream, but I feel like this is one of the only things that has not been effectively created. It’s something that, if it existed, I def would not leave without. This device would imply that I can get shots from virtually anywhere. That would be freaking amazing. And to see the footage live as well! And In high resolution! No, it can’t be! Impossible! I could be on the grand canyon, and get shots remotely inside the canyon! That would be a dream!…….. Mr. Laforet… If I’m right about this, I think I deserve a copy of the device. lol. But seriously, it would be nice. Anyways, I just thought I’d drop my two cents in there. I love all these gadgets that you and Mr. Phillip Bloom, continuously tease. I just wish more curious/talented individuals could have access to these filmmaking tools. Anyways, feel free to let me know if I’m hot or cold with this…

• Vector based video image?

• Mattia

Due to the lag from this message and the time needed for your moderation, I assume that I will read this once this revolutionary thing has already been announced… So… It’s incredible!!! This is definitely a must have tool!! Even the video you posted it’s amazing! I’ve already ordered one!! Thanks Vincent!!

Just kidding!! Keep up with the good work mate!

• Michael Baker

Vincent, My first random guess might be that your talking about the the Odyssey7 or something similar. In most of my shooting going back to my First HD Camera the HVX200 having a decent HiRes screen and lossless or near lossless recording. But with the MarkII you never had the output option. With Red (Vincent seems a heavy user of these as well) Preview is still an option in fact at 4/5K old school measuring tape and properly calibrated lenses are the only sure way to hit your marks and have that tack sharp focus that makes our shots pop. I at least hope this is the technological are where the “Game Changer” will make it’s impact.

I think some deductive reasoning could be used here. What do we know from what Vincent has said. The device is Costs More the the MarkII but with in the range of most film makers guess that would be $5-10k, the benefits would be for single shooters as well as to DPs, and Directors, this does not preclude it being a camera nor does it mean it is a camera. I also suspect from the restrictions on the release of info that it is not something we have seen. That leaves out some of the coolest devices I’ve been drooling over and playing with like the Cinedrive System. Recently devices like the Camermator (its Legal issues aside) have shown the bridging of tablet tech with DSLR’s, Nothing better then getting my art Director off my shoulder and off to the side where he can preview a session and not disturb the Photographer or Subject.

So I am still gravitating towards some type of viewing/control device, something that goes farther in our planing and setting up of shots… Hymmm Anyone remember Redrocks iPhone equipped Remote… Boy that was a game changer Idea. Loved the video too. imagine that, Device maybe with camera views clip logging… Oooooo… that is still not available… Santa Please can you bring me…

Sorry for the ramble…

Looking forward to whatever it is Vincent, thank you for your dedication to informing and motivating the rest of us!

• Is it the Metabones Speed Booster? I’m surprised no one here has mentioned it! THAT’S a game changer.

• @Miko Ancheta, Oops!!!! Didn’t read the part that it was more expensive than the 5DMkII. My bad!!

• Well, if is not a camera but costs more than 5DIII, I don`t think will be a game changer, cause that means you still need a camera, lenses, etc. So after buying all those peaces, majority of people don`t have money left for a 4.000$ accessory.

5DII was a game changer cause just with it, you could get great footage. But this peace of equipment itself can´t do that, right?

Again, a 4.000$ accessory that you need in all your shoots and is not a camera? only thing comes to my mind is a good set of lenses.

Hope I`m right and you VLF helped to developed a good set of lenses, fast, no aberrations, light and kind of cheap. If is an slider/sterady, recorder, etc I wont be interested.

• Ha ha nice little guessing game here. Vince if you’re that excited it’s gotta be good ;-)

• Mark

Pro Cine Live stablizer?

• Stefan C

He Vincent,…here in Germany the day is over ;-) Its 9,47pm….come on

• Jiri Vrozina

But if it takes too long to use it it will not be practical for many everyday productions, only for special ones where decent budget is.

• Andrew Julian

@Pierre, You may be right, but cameras come and go while solid support, grip, lighting, and even audio gear can last for decades. It all depends on what it is exactly, but I can definitely imagine it being a game changer even not being a camera and more than $3000.

• Andrew Julian

@Rich Danby, I think you’re on the right track.

• Andrew Julian

@mathieu cowan, I honestly have no idea, but this is the best guess I’ve got. A cineflex type system that’s vest mounted like a steadicam. Maybe even one of those steadicam type devices with a jib arm attached.

• chriss

i guess it has something to do with lighting

• Andrew Julian

@Marco Tempest, That is really impressive! Apply the same type of tech for a steadicam type system and I’d be interested.

• How much longer Vincent? I need to get some sleep :-)

• Jed Darlington-R..

From blackmagic, on set colour correction and online editing?

• Jed Darlington-R..

@Greg Greenhaw, he said it’snot a camera quite a lot

• David

It is a light amplification device so shots can be taken at a lower ISO.

• norton

@Matt Bass, I think you’ve got it. That is the area I was thinking, controlling settings accurately, away from camera.

• Max

What really really would great is a 16-200 F2.8 canon lens for $6000 ;)

• I’m guessing a recorder/monitor with something like magic bullet looks built in.

• Before seeing “its not a camera,” I would have guessed at a 5D-C with 4K and half the price of the 1DC.

• Jason Montalvo

I’ll second its some kind of capture/recording device that’s captures truly uncompressed and very sharp footage :-)

• Stephane Méril

Something in common with lytro technology ?

• @Matt Bass, not sure, but my first guess was an affordable, large aperture cine-zoom lens; an option to those costing $25K+ like Canon and Zeiss have come out with the past couple years. So you may be “warm” if not “hot.”

• Tri Luu

I have been refreshing this page for hours….please…..

• Bill Faulkner

It is a remote capability so you can see different angles from the same point of view?

• Hell on Water

Not whats coming but i wish for a Canon Ci, DSLR form factor…

FF sensor
    Digi 6
    Uncompressed Output
    XLR input
    headphones duh
    built in ND

• Vladimir

My guess it’s something with the new sensor, which shows incredible results in low light conditions.

• Jim

A Segway….

• Tim

@Thomas Koch, That would be sick

• Maybe some sort of ‘post’ focus technology that allows you to focus after the shot is taken

• Julian

has to be a lighting device!

• It’s a device that will record 4K uncompressed RAW video at up to 6000fps from ANY camera, including old SD flipcams in a format easily editable on devices like the Nintendo DS, conforms and grades automatically and outputs final videos ready for theatrical projection…. all while providing unlimited beer delivery.

Am I close?

• Very exciting to think what this could be???

It’s not a camera and I doubt it’s a lens as it would seem to be that Vincent implies that it changes the way you shoot. If this is the case then I would think it might be something to do with focus, exposure or stabilisation.

However here is my guess, I would love it to be a video focusing system built around the light filed technology seen in the Lytro camera. For those that haven’t seen this it allows you to choose your area of focus in post production which means no longer having to make the choice whilst shooting or worrying about missing focus. Now that would be game changing!

VLF, close?

• Random Nick

It is the Lucid ImaginationWriter!

It transfers my imagination to digital video/audio output.

The advanced version records both your conscious and subconscious imagination.

The top of the line edition can keep you in lucid dream state for best productivity.

Next year’s model will introduce the open sourced Lucid Imagination Network, which enables Collaborative Imagination among individuals in Lucid Sets.

Mr Laforet, waiting for your nod: “darn, how did you know?!”

• Nick

I bet is a new type of lens. I image that it is a prime lens, not just any prime lens. But one that has the ability to change the shape of the optical elements by introducing an electrical or magnetic charge to an optical grade gel. Because the gel could be “programed” to react to different electrical or magnetic signals and form lens elements. you could have a small lens that you could literally upgrade the firm ware to the latest lens designs. It would be like having one lens that could morph to any focal prime length.

• clint

Mini techno crane by Kessler is my guess.

• Philip

Your website is going to explode. It is getting slow, minute by minute. Seems like everybody is refreshing the page every second. Dang

• Is this like vware?

• That Zenmuse Z15 could really be a game changer if it had a handheld rig with universal mount as Marco Tempest posted.

• it’s a 12K Unit that records footage via lenses

• I think it could be the Genie time-lapse motion robotic device for moving the camera along a dolly or across ropes. It can be moved in real time too for video not just for stills.

Just my thoughts
    Tony

• Are we getting closer? Cant wait to see what it is.

• @Vincent Laforet Yup, the mole can be trusted! My lips are sealed until the big announcement.

• Student

@Vincent Laforet, me too! This is a huge tease! Next time, instead of (I’m guessing: you editing a video) just do a live stream. Anyway good luck with the “less than 12 hours from now”, patiently waiting.

• I hope it’s a new lens system that has interchangeable mounts between EOS, Nikon, MFT, etc… that has full electronic controls including autofocus.

• here are my guesses…

some crazy new portable lighting device.
    External recording that would allow RAW exportation on DSLRs.

Well I can’t think of anything else that hasn’t already been mentioned… what ever that is i’m getting the BlackMagic II héhé

• Burk Webb

O.k., this is killing me….. is the 48 hours up yet?

• @Vincent Laforet, A Robot that does the filming for you ?!!
    Gees finally !!

• Peter Hastings

Well I know the one thing that’s THE killer app/product/solution to every technical problem that can exist on set – A REALLY GOOD SCRIPT. Is it a really good script?

• jotographer

My guess would be the FocusMaker from Calumet.

• Sherif Ezzat

I would say it’s either a robotic tripod replacement … or maybe a camera stabilization attachment … I remember Tamron patented something like that a couple of years ago …

• Charly

1D C New Frimware expecial edition and HDR movi 4K ¿¿??

• Student

Over 12 hours now. It’s close to 1am here. What time will you announce it?

• Will

It’s a drone or a device that carries a camera that allows incredibly smooth altitude and follow up people

• Robert E.

It’s a game changer…so this means making videographers or cinematographers’ life much easier. This should be refreshing (crossing fingers).

• What about a Lytro light-field inspired HD Cine-cam? That would pretty much change the film industry forever…

• Dainius

• abc

It is anamorphic lens?

• Boy can’t wait! Maybe its your brain – often left behind on shoots :)

• Sensor is beyond the human eye low light color reproduction and extremely good- insanely good. Focus is maintained through phase sensing on the imaging chip.

• bobo

ITS ( Drum Roll Please ) ITS A FILM CAMERA !!!!!!

• Chuck

Kinect + gyro.

3D tracking and computer vision allow focus to be pulled automatically on moving subject.

• Piotr naumowicz

I think it is a device that allows the filmmakers to manipulate the wheather and night/day circle :-) . Localy of course – range 100m.

• MarkieB

A decent coffee maker, surely that would improve anyone’s work ;-)

• Karl

My camera needs a drone.

Cranes are just to expensive!

• Petru

Let s say Canon 7D mk II with RAW video file!

• Always biting at the bit for something new, however the art is in the user and not the other way around. It won’t teach you to see or create, it will I imagine enhance. I’ve never used any stabilisation rigs and just kept it simply handled..of course only if the application requires. I hope its not stabilisation…

• Pavel Rybakov

Canon 1DС ;-)

• Pavel Rybakov

GYRO stabilizer?

• Todd

I could really go for a matte box with electrochromatic ND filter and built-in metering that maintains good exposure at any given aperture.

• Bob

Ok considering how we are being strung along it must be something related to BMC

• I’m with Christopher on this and not just because of his name… A better focus system.
    Is it Christmas yet?